bookishlyanna

bookishlyanna

you'll never see me without my kindle

Generation Kill
Evan Wright
Unhinge the Universe
Aleksandr Voinov, L.A. Witt
Butterfly Hunter
Julie Bozza
Magic Bites -  Ilona Andrews Looks I'm one of the few who didn't like this...

I wanted to like this book so much, I really really did. But it ended up being such a huge disappointment. I almost couldn't finish it actually; multiple times I considered just marking it as DNF but I forced myself to read so I could get it over with, and let me tell you... it was painful. The whole thing was just so freaking boring! I mean, I was reading and my eyes kept closing by themselves. The beginning was painfully slow... but then at around 20% we meet Curran, the Beast Lord and suddenly it started getting really interesting, so I thought that it was just one of those books that take some time to get into. I was so wrong! The interest didn't last long... a few percents later it got boring again and it kept that pace for the rest of the book. For the first half nothing happens at all, and by the time something does happen (around 60% if I remember correctly) I was so over this book that I started skimming the rest of it. I just couldn't take it anymore.

First of all, I didn't like Kate, the heroine. She was so boring. I mean I don't think she laughed once in this book. She's rude and her sarcasm is annoying and not funny at all (and this is coming from someone who loves sarcastic characters). She keeps threatening people and tough talking and it really pissed me off. If there's one thing I don't like it's when authors try too hard to make their heroines be all badass.

I had a problem with the world building as well. There was so much information thrown into the book all at once that you can't even process and understand all of it. There's no back story for the world either. It's a urban fantasy, no? So we should at least know a little back story for how these creatures appeared and how people found out about them and all that stuff.

If there's one thing that I did like though, were the scenes with Curran. I realized early in the book that the only time Kate wasn't boring was when she was with other people. And her scene with Curran did hold my attention briefly... mostly because of Curran. I also liked Crest, but Kate ended up being a bitch to him too so now he's gone. Good job, Kate, good job.

Anyways, honestly I don't know if I am going to read the next book. Maybe one day I guess, because I heard the books get better and better as the series progresses... but I don't know if I can read the second book anytime soon.