bookishlyanna

bookishlyanna

you'll never see me without my kindle

Generation Kill
Evan Wright
Unhinge the Universe
Aleksandr Voinov, L.A. Witt
Butterfly Hunter
Julie Bozza
Pressure Head - J.L. Merrow Clarification because I don't know if this book is a stand-alone or if it's the first in a series... if it's a stand-alone then I'm giving it 4.5 stars, but if it's part of a series then 5 stars all the way. The reason why will be explained a bit later in the spoiler thingy.

First of all, I really didn't know what to expect of this book, I didn't even really know what it was about when I started it. The reviews from my GR friends were also pretty mixed; some loved it and some just liked it. Well, I LOVED this book.

When I say I didn't know what the book was about, I didn't even know the two MCs knew each other when they were in high school. But I was SO delighted when I figured out that one of the MCs used to bully the other one when they were teens. I have a thing for books with that theme and I always end up loving them.

The interaction between Tom and Phil was just fabulous! The bickering that went on for a big part of the book was honestly such a joy to read. Tom's voice was genuinely funny and I laughed out loud a few times.

The case was intriguing and kept me guessing for the whole time because I never guessed who the murderer was. I quite liked how the mystery was the main focus of the book because it permitted some nice side-characters to join in here and there. But the ones that stuck with me the most were Garry (and even Darren who was really funny) and Dave of course whom I really liked.

Now, the reason why the rating might change if this book ends up being a stand-alone (though, I doubt it because of the rather abrupt ending): some questions remained unanswered and it bugged me a little me. I wanted to know more about Phil's past with his husband and the car accident. So like I said, if it's part of a series, then I understand that these questions might me answered in the next book, but if it's a stand-alone, then I'm going to be left wanting more about the book, and that's never a good feeling to be left after reading a book.

But all in all it was a great read and whenever I had to put the book down a part of my brain kept thinking about it and I couldn't wait to be able to continue it.