bookishlyanna

bookishlyanna

you'll never see me without my kindle

Generation Kill
Evan Wright
Unhinge the Universe
Aleksandr Voinov, L.A. Witt
Butterfly Hunter
Julie Bozza
The Book of Awesome - Neil Pasricha Finally I'm done with this. Now, I did enjoy it... but after a while it gets kind of long. I ended up skimming through a lot of pages, especially near the end, because I just wanted it to end already. The thing that annoyed me the most about this book was that everything was over explained. Sometimes just the title would have sufficed, but no, there are three pages to explain that awesome thing. And the steps, THE STEPS. UGH. For example, one of the awesome things was "Mastering the art of the all-you-can-eat buffet". Then, for four pages the author explains the step for this; 1. The Walk-Through, 2. Drink Later, 3. The Sampler, 4. Staggered Trips, 5. Big Plates Always, 6. One More Egg Roll. But the thing is, no one does this in real life. And the author did these steps thing for so. many. "awesome things". Like seriously, there were steps for sneezing, and getting your eyelash out of your eye, etc. It was unnecessary and just plain annoying. And there weren't just steps because for crying he described all the sort of cryings!!! Like I said, over explained.

The worst thing in this is that yeah, you read this book once, and you enjoy it... but that's it. This isn't the kind of book you'll read twice. So I kind of feel like I wasted my money. But anyways, that being said, I did enjoy some of it. Here are my favourite "awesome things":

Waking up before your alarm clock and realizing you've got lots of sleep time left

Licking the batter off the beaters of a cake mixer

Eating the extra fries at the bottom of the bag

The smell of rain on a hot sidewalk

Reading the nutritional label and eating it anyways

Eating a free sample of something you have no intention of buying (COSTCO! :D)

Using Rock-Paper-Scissors to settle anything