bookishlyanna

bookishlyanna

you'll never see me without my kindle

Generation Kill
Evan Wright
Unhinge the Universe
Aleksandr Voinov, L.A. Witt
Butterfly Hunter
Julie Bozza
A Reason To Believe - Diana Copland This book had everything that I usually look for in a M/M book: humour, mystery, a bit of angst, romance and awesome characters. Now, I've read a lot of books where one of the characters is grieving for a dead partner, but I can't say that they're my favourite kind of books, just because I feel like sometimes either the character drags on way too much angsting over it (which is understandable, but it's not something that I really want to read about for an entire book), or the character moves on too fast. But in this book it was the right in-between those two and I appreciated that. What surprised me most of all though, was how much Diana Copland made me like Brad, Matt's dead partner, in those few moments Matt was thinking about their past together.

But, moving on to someone who is alive, I just love Kiernan so much! He was just so sweet and adorable and hot and just so funny! I loved his t-shirts with the quotes on them, I thought that was brilliant! There was no way Matt wouldn't fall for someone like him, and I think Kiernan was just the right person to pull Matt out of his grief, and I don't think anyone else could have done it.

Which brings me to my next point: the pacing. The whole story unfolds in less than a week, but nothing felt rushed at all. You'd think for someone who's been grieving for so long for his dead lover it would take more than a week to "move on" with someone else, but in this case I think it was a perfect pace. The fact that he was grieving for more than a year made him more ready to move on with someone else. And I said before that Kiernan was the right person, but I feel like he also came at the right time. Matt probably wouldn't have been as open to start a new relationship if he had met Kiernan six months before. It was kind of an insta-love, but with everything else that happened during that week, it didn't really feel like one at all. So for me, the pace felt very realistic.

The mystery, while not extremely complex, still dragged me in. I'm also not very fond of paranormal M/M books, I tend to stay in the contemporary genre, but I really liked that aspect in this book. It made the mystery that much more interesting and it kept me reading. It actually kind of made me want to find more mysteries that have a ghost/paranormal element in them. I'd also like to read more books where one of the MC does readings like Kiernan does, because it was quite interesting and probably the first time a read a book with an MC that does that for a job.

The only thing I wish for now is that Copland decides to write a sequel for this because it can't just end like this; I need more from these two!

The ARC was provided by Carina Press via NetGalley